Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Theme and all that

1. Theme isn't really all that important to me when I write. I like to just concentrate on the characters and try to bring out their personalities. The best works don't always have a developed theme. For example, the Great Gatsby doesn't have all that much of a theme, in fact, I thought it was pretty boring. On the other hand, Red Dragon has a very developed theme, horror. Books that are fun to read generally have developed themes and moods. the so-called "great works" don't always fit that.

2. I'd probably try and fit some suspense in. As a writer I get concerned over wether or not my readers are interested. The best way to keep people in their seats is to make your work suspenseful, it draws people in. My aim as a writer is to entertain, you can't entertain if you're not interesting.

3. Conflict to me generally revolves around two characters, the pro and antagonist. Both strive to accomplish conflicting goals. In particular, I like conflicts revolving around a certain goal that are clear. For example in Red Dragon there is a clear conflict between three characters.

2 comments:

Sean said...

I haven't read the Great Gatsby yet so I'm not familiar with that example but I like how you think. It is important to make that character devlopement so your characters aren't dull and boring. Suspense is always a great theme to have in your works of writing. I think the reason why I like Scooby Doo is because of suspense and mystery. I'm sure you'll have some awesome conflict between 2 people though that'll keep your readers entertained.

Mr. Miles said...

GATSBY actually does have a theme, about the problems with the American Dream, about the very wealthy using the vulnerable around them to get what they want (like how Tom uses Myrtle and how Daisy uses Gatsby).

But I do agree that a piece of writing can focus on telling a great story as well.