Monday, February 25, 2008

Toward the Future

1.I found it fairly difficult to write the play, things got easier once I started typing though, I guess when you can physically put your ideas down things start to flow faster. It was also difficult to add the themes and plot lines effectively, along with bringing my characters out as I had hoped. I was particularly frustrated with the lack of action you could put in, things would have been easier in Novel Form. However Dialogue was certainly easier. I would be interested in writing a screenplay, although I'm sure writing a story that long would be difficult.


2. I guess I would give advice based on what I've experienced. Whenver someone asks my opinion or advice, I generally go off of what I know, not what I interpret in others. The most important thing I would have to say to anyone is this: Find something you love and stick with it. I think it was Twain who said "there is only time in life for one great passion" and I agree. Besides that you love this activity or whatever it is, there are other practical reasons for following this. Whenver you can become an "expert" in something you're giving yourself an advantage. Like no matter what happens for the rest of my life, (unless I get hurt I suppose) I'll be a great skier. I could instruct or get a job in the industry if need be.


3. The key to any literary or art-work gaining immortality is this: It must be popular among educators. Anything can become a pop-culture phenomenon, but eventually it will pass. The only way it will last forever is if it is taught to each subsequent generation. Many great novels are mandatory reading in High School or College. Works like Shakespeare, Mark Twain, Homer and more fit this mold. Other works could be remembered for something they changed in society. Uncle Tom's Cabin is a good example of this, A lot of people remember it, but no one reads it.

1 comment:

Matt said...

Rich, I also had difficulty writing my play due to the lack of action you could put in it through dialogue. I, like you, wasnt much a fan of this style and would try and avoid it in the future if possible. One time was alright though, but I'd like to focus on something without dialogue.