Friday, March 7, 2008

first mrs. B post

2. I suppose I'd like to style my writing similar to what I enjoy reading. I love novels, especially fiction, stories just interest me more than accounts. Some of my favorite books are the Da vinci code, the killer angels and others I can't even think of right now. I also like information books, Freakonomics is a favorite, although I have a harder time staying interested, they're very informative, and funny too, I think of the darwin awards for that one. I don't really ever write outside of school, I prefer to read.
.

3. It was like heaven, I got off the van and the first thing I noticed were the multitude of beautiful, almost unreal buildings covering everything except for the mountain. There were posters hanging from the lampposts which read "Welcome to Beaver Creek." This was by far the most beautiful thing I'd ever seen, the mountain was huge and even more so from the chairlift, which went at least 30 mph. That was something that fascinated me, the architecture and overrall theme was one of mixed stone and ski lodge, yet well integrated with technology. I rode up the chairlift with my friend Petey, and the first thing we decided to do was to go down Birds of Prey. This was no ordinary double black diamond, this was the race hill. Not just any race hill, The world championship Downhill was held here. It's largely considered the second most dangerous race hill in the world. After all, Bode Miller hit 90 mph on it just a few weeks earlier. When we got off the chairlift, we had to ski down a short run and over a catwalk to get there. From the moment I started off, I noticed that gravity seemed to be stronger, going fast was just a matter of being on skis, it required nothing else. While we were traversing the catwalk, I spotted a big sign that read "Welcome to Birds Of Prey, home of the 1999 World Alpine Championships." Just a few strides away was a huge ice sculpture of an eagle. The hill was still scarred from the downhill, there were blue lines everywhere that marked the track, and the v-netting was still coating the side. When we started off, for the first time in years I had a hard time controlling my speed, I was even a little intimidated. It took us about 5 minutes to get to the bottom, An eternity compared to the 2 minutes it takes a world cup downhiller, but then again, we were on skis half that length.

.

No comments: